ALA Student-to-Staff (S2S) Annual Conference Program
Each year the ALA offers 40 scholarships to LIS students from the 60 active student chapters in the United States. The scholarship covers conference registration and 5 nights shared lodging, in addition to a daily $50 stipend (totaling $200), in exchange for 16 hours of work over four days of the conference. The only cost not covered is travel – i.e. airfare to the conference or rental cars, taxis, etc. while at the conference. The scholarship is available early in October and is offered to the first 40 applicants submitted by their program. One applicant per program is allowed, and information is sent to schools by the 1st of December of each year. Qualifying participants are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Annual conferences are held at the end of June each year.
Requirements for consideration:
- Individual Student Membership in ALA (ALA requirement-current cost $36)
- Active Membership in SOLIS – this is determined a.) by membership in the USF Student Chapter(s) of ALA and/or SLA and b.) by either holding an officer position in SOLIS or membership in at least one committee each semester in the school year prior to the conference. Distance students are eligible through committee and meeting participation.
- Student must graduate in the spring, summer, or fall semester of the conference year.
- Student must submit to the faculty advisors a 250-300 word essay on why they want to attend the conference.
- See more details at the American Library Association S2S Program webpage.